Personal Independence Payment (PIP Payments) | ͵͵


Skip to content
Please donate

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

If you're under State Pension age and have a long-term illness or disability, you might be entitled to Personal Independence Payment (PIP) to help pay for things.

What is Personal Independence Payment?

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people who are under State Pension age and need help with daily activities or getting around because of a long-term illness or disability.

It isn't based on your National Insurance contributions and it isn't means tested, so your savings don't matter. You can spend PIP on whatever you need.

If you've reached State Pension age and have care needs, you should claim Attendance Allowance instead.

Find out more about Attendance Allowance

How much Personal Independence Payment could I get?

How much PIP you could get depends on how difficult it is for you to do certain things – such as preparing food and drink, dressing and undressing, or getting around.

PIP has two parts: a daily living component and a mobility component. You might be able to claim one or both components.

Daily living component Weekly rate
Standard £72.65
Enhanced £108.55
Mobility component Weekly rate
Standard £28.70
Enhanced £75.75

PIP is gradually replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA). However, if you were born before 8 April 1948 and you're already currently claiming DLA, you can continue to do so.

Am I eligible to claim Personal Independence Payment?

You might be eligible for PIP if you:

  • are 16 or over and under State Pension age
  • have a long-term mental or physical health condition or disability
  • need help with daily living activities, following a journey or moving around (these are outlined below)
  • aren't already claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

PIP can be paid if you've met the eligibility criteria for 3 months, and your condition is expected to last for at least another 9 months.

You might be eligible for one or both parts of PIP based on what you need help with.

Daily living part

  • preparing food
  • eating and drinking
  • managing medicines and treatments for your condition
  • washing and bathing
  • using the toilet
  • dressing and undressing
  • talking, listening and understanding
  • reading and understanding signs
  • socialising with other people
  • managing your money

Mobility part

  • working out a route and following it safely
  • physically moving around
  • leaving your home

Even though the mobility part is awarded because you need help getting around, you can spend it how you'd like.

Are you entitled to extra money?

Do you know what benefits you're entitled to? Our online benefits calculator can help you quickly and easily find out what you could be claiming.

Get a free benefits check

How to claim Personal Independence Payment

To make a claim, you need to fill out the PIP claim form. There are a couple of ways to get a form.

By phone

Call the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 917 2222 (textphone 0800 917 7777). They'll ask you for some basic information and then send you a claim form.

By post

Write to ‘Personal Independence Payment New Claims’. You'll be sent a form to provide some information before they send you the claim form. It can take longer to get a decision if you start your claim by post.

What happens once I've submitted my claim?

Once you've submitted your form, your claim will be assessed by a healthcare professional. You might have a face-to-face assessment as part of this.

You’ll get a score based on how much help the assessment shows you need. This determines how much PIP you might receive.

You'll then be informed of the outcome of your claim. If your claim is turned down, you can challenge it. If you need advice or help filling out claim forms, contact your local ͵͵.

More Personal Independence Payment questions

Can I get State Pension and PIP?

If you’re awarded PIP before you get to State Pension age, you’ll continue to receive it afterwards, too. You can still make a claim if you’re working.

Top of section

Can I claim PIP whilst being employed?

You can claim PIP if you're working or not. But you may need to explain why you still qualify for PIP even though you can manage your job.

Top of section

What other benefits can I claim with PIP?

Claiming PIP means that you could be entitled to more money in other means-tested benefits, such as Pension Credit, Universal Credit, Income Support, income-related ESA, income-based JSA, Housing Benefit, and Tax Credits.

Also, if someone in your household gets PIP then the benefit cap won't apply to your household.

Top of section

Phone icon We're here to help

We offer support through our free advice line on 0800 678 1602. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. We also have specialist advisers at over 120 local ͵͵s.

Share this page

Last updated: Jun 04 2024

You might also be interested in...

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top